Self-Introduction Email

To: Brad Blackstone
From: Ho Sin Yue (Xenia)
Date: January 21, 2019
Subject: A self-introduction

Dear Brad,

My name is Ho Sin Yue (Xenia). I am currently a hospitality business undergraduate from Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). Before joining SIT, I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic (SP) with a diploma in hotel and leisure facilities management. My past part-time work experiences were in the service industry as a restaurant sales executive, a retail assistant with Young Generation (gift shop), and lastly, with KOI The (beverage shop) for 2 years as a service crew member before attending my internship.

I was given an opportunity by SP to have a six months internship in Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel under the housekeeping department. During the first four months, I was a room attendant whereby I was required to clean a minimum of 14 rooms daily. Subsequently, I was promoted to the role of a runner, coordinator and housekeeping supervisor eventually. The six months internship was indeed fruitful and informative as I learned so much about operations in the housekeeping department. I currently work as a stock management assistant as I wish to gain more experience in a different industry after having experienced other part-time jobs in the service industry.

I am often described by my peers as a joyful person who will always lighten up the atmosphere. I personally feel that this is a beneficial trait for the service industry as it will help to enhance the customer experience. However, I am aware that some people may find this character trait too intimidating. Therefore, I learned to be cautious with how I behave in front of others especially in professional situations.

In terms of communication skills, my work experience in the service industry has helped me to increase my confidence when speaking to the public. However, the grammar and sentence structure used may not be correct, which may not seem to be professional when I speak. I hope to overcome my weaknesses after attending this module.

I hope this email helps in providing a deeper understanding of myself. I look forward to seeing your comment, Brad. I also welcome all readers to leave a comment on this post for us to know more about each other.

Thank you!

Yours sincerely,
Xenia

Edited on January 30, 2019 based on Brad's comment.

Blogs commented: Hannah, Jeaine and Pei Ling. 

Comments

  1. Hi Xenia, thank you for the detailed blog post about yourself! I have never worked in a hotel before so it was interesting to know more about your internship in the housekeeping department of Marriott Tang Plaza. Could you share with me more about your role as a runner and coordinator? Hope to know more about you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Pei Ling! A runner actually act as a delivery person in the housekeeping department. We deliver amenities and inventories that the guest request. Whereas for a coordinator, we act as a middleman to liaise between the front office, housekeeper and guest requirement. I hope this can help you better understand the hotel industry!

      Regards,
      Xenia

      Delete
  2. Dear Xenia

    Thank you for your detailed self introduction. What a coincidence that we actually worked in the same hotel for our polytechnic internship! I could not believe that I do not know you till we arrived in SIT. From the way you carry yourself and the vibe you given, you are definitely a "people" person. It allows people to befriend you easily. Let's work hard and improve our communication skills through this module.

    Warmest Regards

    Jeaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment, Jeaine! I am very glad to know someone back from "home". With the similar experience, we can definitely relate and understand each other better! Hope to learn from your strength through this module.

      Regards,
      Xenia

      Delete
  3. Dear Xenia,

    Thank you for this well-crafted letter. You share so much detail about your rich work experience, your strength and weakness in communication, your goals for the module and your personality. When you mention that as an intern you were expected to clear 14 rooms in one day, I imagined the challenges that such work involved, and I wondered what it really is that excites young students like yourself about staying in the industry. You go on to discuss how you are viewed by others as being quite joyful, and I recalled when I first met you in class and had the same impression. Beyond your career path, that is a trait well worth maintaining, so I'd suggest that you don't let others dampen your spirit. Indeed, it is good to be 'cautious' in all things, but let your light shine brightly, Xenia!

    In terms of language use, this post shows solid command of English, with just a few issues to take note of:
    1. verb use
    -- My past part-time work experiences are > (tense) ?

    2. sentence structure/minor edits
    -- My past part-time work experiences are in the service industry such as restaurant sales executive, a retail assistant with Young Generation (gift shop), lastly KOI The (beverage shop) for 2 years as a service crew before attending my internship. >
    (use of conjunction)
    My past part-time work experiences were in the service industry as a restaurant sales executive, a retail assistant with Young Generation (gift shop), and lastly, with KOI The (beverage shop) for 2 years as a service crew member before attending my internship.
    -- However, the grammar and sentence structure used may not be correct which may not seem to be professional when I speak. > However, the grammar and sentence structure used may not be correct, which may not seem to be professional when I speak.

    I look forward to learning more about you this term. Keep that bright smile shining!

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Brad! What keeps me in the industry is the positive response I received from guests. I felt satisfied when I am able to help them. I appreciate your feedback regarding my post and I will edit it accordingly.

      Regards,
      Xenia

      Delete
    2. Thanks very much, Xenia.

      Best wishes for New Year!

      Brad

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your self-introduction Xenia, I really enjoyed getting to know more about you. I totally agree that you have a gift of contributing to a positive and light-hearted work environment with your happy-go-lucky personality, which I think is a quality not many people will have. Keep up the good work and see you around in class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Delvine! I always see you as a sweet and caring lady and I hope you keep that vibe going. Let us learn together through this module.

      Cheers,
      Xenia

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts