Critical Reflection on 'Skills on Wheels'


The two modules I have chosen are Exchanging Feedback and Present Effectively. I did relatively well for both modules and reviewed the questions that I got wrong to help me learn from the  misconception I have. The reason for choosing Exchanging Feedback is because I believe it is important to give constructive feedback to provide learning opportunities for the other party. On the other hand, I hope to learn how to receive feedback and not feel offended or upset. Whereas for Present Effectively, I believe it is beneficial for my remaining academic year as there is a lot of presentation in Hospitality Business. Through this module, I hope to enhance my presentation to captivate the audience and better present myself.

Exchanging Feedback:

This module not only useful in school but also our daily lives. The module emphasizes on the importance of having the correct mindset on receiving feedback via the G.I.F.T approach (Give the person time to share, Identify and clarify learning points, Formulate goals and way forward, and Thank the person for the feedback). Additionally, a separate component addresses how do we provide feedback via the S.H.A.R.E approach (Figure 1). The two approaches comes handy as I may seem to abrupt while providing feedback to others or awkward while people provide me with feedback.  

Figure 1. S.H.A.R.E approach

Present Effectively:

The module taught me the importance of knowing your audience and how to attract and engage them during the presentation. The ISimulation provides me with a clearer understanding of putting the audiences’ concern first rather than to focus on portraying and emphasizing on ourselves. The A.B.C framework that represents Audience Management, Behaviour Management and Content Management guide me on how to tackle different areas in a presentation. An additional framework W.E.B, which stands for Words, Emotions and Body Language, serves as a purpose to guide individuals on how to perform during the presentation. The pictures below are examples of the dos and don’ts in the W.E.B framework which I identified a few inappropriate areas I performed during the presentation. I have picked up several skills that can be used in my future presentation and I hope it comes beneficial in presenting myself better.







Evaluation of Skills on Wheels:

The modules offered in Skills on Wheels are beneficial not only in school, but it is also applicable in our daily lives. I love the part where we are engaged in the midst of the video by answering how we will respond during the situation. The graphics are useful as it is easy to understand, and the design is very attractive. However, I would like to point out that I was not able to access the Module Assessment as it was displayed as not found. Otherwise, the interface was easy to use.


Blog commented: Swathi, Jeaine, Carolyn

Comments

  1. Thank you very much, Xenia, for this detailed and comprehensive refflection on your experience with SoW. I appreciate the depth of your review and analysis.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts